TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Re: Re: Chasing boost leaks/detonation
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Re: Re: Chasing boost leaks/detonation

Posted by madkiwi on September 06, 2014 at 6:17 PM
  This message has been viewed 132 times.

In Reply To Re: Re: Chasing boost leaks/detonation posted by madkiwi on September 05, 2014 at 09:56 PM

Message OK, here is the latest. I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and zip-tied it to the wiper, then went for a drive.

When ignition was off- 40 psi every time (and stayed there for at least 30 minutes while I had lunch).

Key on- jumped to 42 psi, then back to 40 when pump shut off.

On and idling-vacuum gauge showing -15 inches- 36 psi
Driving -10 inches- 37-38 psi
-5 inches- 40 psi
0- 44 psi

Boosting-
+5 psi- 49 psi fuel
+10 psi- 61 psi

Got to 11 psi and ecu promptly dropped into safety boost. But at 6 psi I was still getting over 50 psi on the fuel pressure. Experiment ended.

Getting really frustrated now. After getting home and removing the FP gauge, I started thinking. I know I am getting fuel. I know I have spark. What if I am getting MORE air than the ecu is expecting, ie the MAF is sending bad intel?

I looked up the test procedure for the MAF (I downloaded the service manual pdf to my phone) and if you are not getting an ecu error (I'm not) then apparently you check for voltage between pin A on the MAF plug and ground. With engine off but key in on position it is supposed to be 0.8 V. Mine is 0.44 V. With engine running, 0.8-1.5 V. Mine is 1.245 V. If out of spec the manual says remove and check the hot wire for breaks or dirt. Removed, inspected (looked good) but got out my MAF cleaner spray and gave it a thorough cleaning. Then let it dry, reinstalled and repeated the test. Same results.

Is my MAF sensor bad, and in a way that it tells the ecu that there is less air than there really is? I am too tired to think, or Google right now, so I am really hoping someone smarter than me knows WTF I am talking about.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.